Tuesday, August 12, 2008

this aggression will not stand, man.

this last week has been an eventful one for the world around us. there was never really a time when i've felt particularly connected to the outside world (and by outside, i mean of course in relation to my own little comfortable bubble of influence). my world has almost always consisted of a 30 or so square mile area of northern california.

a few years ago i had the opportunity to broaden that a little bit, and pieces of my heart were scattered across the united states with the new friends that i had made on summer project.

now, my connections with the world have broadened still. i have friends who have been/are all over the world. friends who have lived in turkey, friends who were born in poland, friends that currently live in england.

and one friend in particular who is volunteering with the peace corps in Georgia. my heart is now irreversibly tied to a small country in eastern europe. my thoughts are literally half a world away, crossing borders in the night, leaving all possessions behind, tormented by the sound of bombs in the distance. this "war" has a face for me.

but then again...it should have a face for everyone. because the people fighting, and the people being attacked are all people. they all have a face, and a heart, and they are all human.

No comments: