Wednesday, July 30, 2008

my super power

I have what I like to call a super power.  I think its great - when it works to my advantage.  You might not think its so amazing, but I do.  So are you ready?

I am pretty good at reading people's authenticity.  I put it this way because I mean that I'm pretty good at knowing when people are b.s.ing or manipulating.  I'm pretty good at noticing when people are fibbing/being deceptive, or being surfacy, or covering up for how they really feel.  A lot of people's actions and intentions are transparent to me (Of course there are exceptions to this rule, but for the most part, I can read people in this way).

Here's the catch: (well there's two actually)
1.  My power does not work on myself.  It only works when I'm viewing the situation from the outside.  Meaning I can't tell when I'm being manipulated, or when people are lying or being surfacy with me (In one-on-one situations).
2. I haven't completely learned to control this power.  I can, on occasion, let my own opinions and feelings towards a person cloud my impressions of them.  This is a rare occasion, and usually only happens when I feel threatened.  And I'm generally quickly proven wrong and forced to re-evaluate.

I think its a pretty good power because it helps me to get to know the people around me.  And I like people, and I like getting to know them better.  So how can I argue with this gift?  I can't.  I'm just going to practice and refine it.

No comments: